Development Assistant (.80 FTE term)Company: YWCA Saskatoon
Date Posted: July 5, 2017
The Development Assistant performs a variety of administrative, financial, and secretarial tasks in support of development and communications activities following the YWCA’s donor-centered approach. The incumbent will have significant contact with YWCA stakeholders, and will be required to maintains positive relationships and communicate effectively. The incumbent will be required to perform data entry, financial and other tasks in a timely and accurate manner. This is a 24 month term position with possibility of extension. A flexible work schedule may be considered, and occasional evening or weekend work may be required.
Reports to the Director of Development and Communications.
1. Provide administrative support for fund development:
- Play a role in carrying out the YWCA gift stewardship plan and achieving fund development goals, working together with the Director of Development & Communications and other team members;
- Accept charitable gifts, process donation receipts, and prepare correspondence;
- Maintain and update donor and gift information in the donor database;
- Support and promote fundraising campaigns and appeals;
- Prepare monthly and annual financial reconciliation;
- Prepare donation reports and donor lists;
- Coordinate donor visits, tours, and social events;
- Respond to donor and volunteer inquiries.
2. Provide administrative and secretarial support to the Director of Development and Communications:
- Prepare correspondence, printed materials, reports, research, lists;
- Coordinate or attend meetings or appointments as needed;
- Assist with purchases, office supplies, invoices, and filing;
- Provide assistance to the Director of Development & Communications with various communications & marketing projects as required;
- Work collaboratively with the YWCA team and provide assistance as required.
3. Provide support for events and special projects
- Plan YWCA special events together with other YWCA team members and volunteers;
- Coordinate details, event promotions, invitations, RSVPs, and tickets;
- Provide event-day support, with occasional evening or weekend work;
- Support external events where the YWCA is involved.
KEY CORE COMPETENCIES
Organizational Agility: Is knowledgeable about how the organization functions; knows how to get things done both through formal channels and through the informal network; understands the origin and reasoning behind key policies, practices, and procedures; provides the information people need to know to do their jobs; provides direct and timely feedback and information so that people can make accurate decisions.
Planning & Organizing: Accurately scopes out length and difficulty of tasks and projects; sets objectives and goals; breaks down work into the process steps; develops work plans; anticipates and adjusts for problems and roadblocks; develops coherent and effective action plans; measures performance against goals; evaluates results.
Time Management: Uses time effectively and efficiently; effectively sets priorities by quickly zeroing in on the critical issues; values time; separates the critical few from the trivial many and concentrates his/her efforts accordingly.
Working with Volunteers: Works effectively with volunteers; is sensitive and caring; defers to volunteers when appropriate; understands his/her role in the volunteer/staff relationship and is able to maximize this relationship and build on its strengths.
Adaptability: Does the right thing at the right time; seeks and finds solutions to problems; knows when to take action on issues; resolves problems; remains flexible and versatile to new situations; understands and appreciates different and opposing perspectives on issues; enjoys challenges; reacts calmly and performs consistently under pressure.
Communication: Communicates in a thorough, clear and timely manner; listens attentively to comprehend both the factual content of a message and the feeling being expressed; shares information; demonstrates attention to others; summarizes and explains complex issues in a way that others can understand; fosters trust through open dialogue; gives feedback; gets ideas across in writing effectively.
Decision Quality: Makes good decisions in a timely manner based upon a mixture of analysis, wisdom, experience and judgment; offers solutions and suggestions that turn out to be correct and accurate when judged over time; is sought out by others for advice and solutions.
Computer Systems Knowledge: Has a broad knowledge of Microsoft software that supports administrative processes. Must be proficient in Microsoft Office and have the ability to learn new software quickly if the need arises.
JOB SPECIFIC COMPETENCIES
Organizational Skills: Must demonstrate strong organizational skills, with the ability to anticipate, plan, set priorities, delegate work and meet timelines consistently.
Attention to detail: Understands the importance of accuracy and has the ability to execute broad concepts into realistic action plans.
Reliability: Must be responsible and consistent, completing work projects and assignments on time.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
- University degree or business college diploma and one or more years of experience;
- Strong computer skills and clerical accuracy;
- Intermediate or better Excel skills required;
- Knowledge of Raiser’s Edge donor database and/or accounting software preferred;
- Events experience preferred;
- Experience with committees and volunteers an asset;
- Familiarity with the not-for-profit sector an asset;
- Personal philsophies aligned with YWCA Saskatoon vision, mission and values.
Information about YWCA Saskatoon is available on the website and a full position description can be viewed at: http://www.ywcasaskatoon.com/about-the-ywca/careers-at-the-ywca/
Please submit resume, three references and letter of interest by 4:30 pm Friday, July 21, 2017 to:
Director of Development & Communications
510 – 25th Street East
Saskatoon SK S7K 4A7
We appreciate the interest of all applicants but only those being interviewed will be contacted.