Senior Development Officer | SaskatchewanCompany: Nature Conservancy of Canada
Date Posted: October 6, 2017
Senior Development Officer, Saskatchewan
Based in Regina or Saskatoon, Saskatchewan
The Nature Conservancy of Canada (NCC) is the nation’s leading not-for-profit, private land conservation organization, working to protect our most important natural areas and the species they sustain. Since 1962 NCC and its supporters have protected 2.8 million acres (more than 1.1 million hectares) of ecologically significant land across Canada. NCC takes a collaborative, science-based approach to achieve conservation success for the sake of nature and Canadians. With a national office in Toronto and seven regional offices across the country, NCC delivers results you can walk on.
This is an exciting opportunity to join a leading, innovative and ever-growing organization in the not-for-profit sector. The position will focus on building and strengthening long-term relationships with NCC’s individual supporters and solicitation of major gifts.
The successful candidate will report to the Director of Development & Communications for Saskatchewan and work closely with the Saskatchewan Development team to design and implement fundraising strategies to achieve the ambitious goals of NCC’s capital campaign. The growth of the major giving program is a priority for the organization and we are seeking a charismatic, relationship-building individual who is interested in the opportunity to grow with the role.
The Senior Development Officer is responsible for working in collaboration with the Development team to develop and execute an integrated and long-range cultivation, solicitation and stewardship plan of current and prospective major donors. The position is a key contributor to the annual revenue goals of the Saskatchewan regional office.
The incumbent will focus on building and facilitating philanthropic relationships with individuals and foundations and on facilitating the decision process of making a current major gift (minimum of $10,000 but with a primary focus on $100,000 and larger gifts). The candidate should expect to spend 100% of his/her time at face-to-face meetings with prospective donors and should be willing to travel frequently within the Saskatchewan region and occasionally elsewhere within Canada as required.
The candidate will be a self-directed and motivated individual with proven, exceptional interpersonal and communication skills and the ability to work effectively with people from all walks of life. The incumbent must have an excellent proven record of donor relationship building, cultivation and solicitation of major gifts.
The incumbent will work collaboratively with the organization’s Development and Marketing department and will be a member of the Saskatchewan Regional Development team. In this role, the Senior Development Officer will work with the team to identify and implement strategies and tactics to grow the number of major gift donors across the Saskatchewan region.
- Fundraise major gifts from individuals, foundations, corporations, and provincial and local governments;
- Actively build and manage a portfolio of prospects and donors;
- Develop and execute strategic plans for fundraising programs, donor approaches and solicitations;
- Meet with donors and prospects face-to-face to facilitate donor decisions resulting in major gifts and the signing of donor agreements;
- In collaboration with the Director of Development and the Regional Vice President identify and attract new fundraising volunteers to assist with meeting NCC revenue goals and manage volunteers based on industry best practice;
- Collaborate with other members of the Development team, research ideas, contribute to developing funding proposals, gift agreements, and other donor communication materials and ensure the highest standard in the management of donor communications;
- Provide timely information and professional responses to donor inquiries;
- Work with the other members of the team to ensure the maintenance of the Raiser’s Edge database for the incumbent’s assigned prospects and donors including records inputting, updating, reporting and moves management actions tracking;
- Support the execution of and attend major donor events and cultivate and steward relationships with the attendees;
- Work in collaboration with the team to develop annual work plans and budgets to ensure that the region and the Regional Development team meets its annual targets;
- Effectively communicate NCC’s vision nationally and communicate to donors national and regional fund raising priorities and donor impact through storytelling;
- Contribute to the strategic direction of the department and advise on and contribute to continuous improvements related to industry best practices.
Key Result Areas
- Contribute to region’s annual revenue goals by fundraising major gifts defined as $10,000 and above from individuals, organizations and foundations with a primary focus on gifts of $100,000 and above;
- Build and manage a portfolio of 150-200 prospects and donors;
- Develop and successfully execute strategic plans for donor approaches and solicitations;
- Meet with 175-200 donors and prospects face-to-face annually to facilitate donor decisions resulting in major gifts;
- Work toward achieving an agreed upon annual revenue target;
- Agree to achieve key performance targets in terms of prospect management, number of quality face-to-face calls (175-200 per year) and asks (60-70 per year), and the revenue target, as outlined above.
Required Experience and Competencies
- Related university degree or comparable combination of education and work experience;
- Minimum of five years of fundraising experience, preferably in major gifts; or equivalent experience;
- Proven exceptional donor/client relations experience;
- Solid understanding of best practices in donor/ client cultivation, closing, acknowledgment, recognition, and stewardship;
- Exceptional active listening skills and excellent attention to detail;
- Excellent communication skills, oral and written, with the ability to effectively persuade and inspire others to support NCC’s work;
- Ability to work independently, communicate at all levels with confidence and exercise sound judgment, tact and confidentiality in relation to donors and the general public;
- Proven ability to develop annual donor plans, set priorities, use planning and analytical skills, complete work with minimal supervision and meet deadlines;
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment, prioritize and multi-task;
- Strong interpersonal skills and team player with a flexible and helpful attitude and outlook;
- Experience in use of Raiser’s Edge or other CRM software and general proficiency in the use of MS Office software;
NCC is an equal opportunity employer. If you are interested in joining our team, please forward your resume and cover letter and salary expectations indicating “Senior Development Officer – Saskatchewan” in the subject line to the Nature Conservancy of Canada via e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Deadline is Thursday October 26, 2017.
We thank everyone who applies for their interest in the Nature Conservancy of Canada; however only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.